Monday, November 3, 2008

Post-its in my eyeglass case

Let me preface this post by saying that I'm in no-way a man basher--in fact, I love men, which is why I married a great one. BUT (and you knew there'd be a "but"), I realized today why it is that we women try to take on the world...it's because we're the ones that get s@#$ done!

I've made excuses forever why little post-its fall out of every glasses case I own, because frankly, it may seem a bit odd or even dishelved that pieces of paper trail behind me wherever I go...but my system works. Here's the deal: I know that in order to see, I have to open my glasses case and pull my glasses out, so if I stick a reminder post-it in my glasses case, I'm pretty darn sure that when I open it, I'll be holding my reminder. I know, brain surgery, eh? Granted, I've got a million little post-its following me around, but I figure who cares, at least I'll remember to bring the check to my kids' school for the wrapping paper or wreath I probably don't need (but will love, of course!) or remember to go to that 8am meeting instead of getting coffee first, etc.

So, long story before the punchline. I'm in a meeting today and every time something that hasn't had any progress made on it comes up--and all are connected to men, I might add--the comment is something like "they're so busy, they just haven't had time to work on that" and then they look to the women in the room to help "take action." Needless to say, I'm a little puzzled and find myself cocking my head sideways like a dog when they hear something high-pitched, and thinking: "Hmmm...yes, men, they are really, really busy, I don't know how they manage it all." Ok, I'll kill the sarcasm, but you have to admit, it's almost comical, right? They can be great dads and employees and friends, but guys' multi-tasking skills are for the birds. So rather than nudge them into learning the skill, people turn to women to help these poor creatures...

I can't help but want to call out: "All it takes are a few post-its and a little commitment, guys!" Seriously, I'm even considering giving all of the guys in my work and personal life a huge stack of post-its (with operating instructions) for Xmas this year...I'd even be willing to get them in red, green and white if that made it more festive and fun. Man, I sound cynical today--sorry...guess it's time for a reminder post-it not to be so cynical tomorrow!

4 comments:

Cari said...

Ha!! Loved the post. Do you think it's genetic? The women in my lab are by far better at multi-tasking (and generally more productive) than the guys. And they are all young and don't have kids yet, so it's not like they've learned these skills out of necessity. Funny. I guess we have to be more productive in order to be perceived as being AS productive as the guys. At least it seems that way to me. Now who's cynical? :)

Melissa F. said...

I try to stay away from being cynical about it, but it's just true! You're funny...

Robin said...

OMG! Have we not had this conversation before?! I would be forever aimlessly wandering around wondering why I had just jumped up from the table to run full speed into the kitchen to do.... what was it I came in here for? without my beloved post-its.

Melissa F. said...

Don't I know it! I want to kiss the guy that came up with post-its...he's my hero!