Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mental note to self: to be well-read, read more than Curious George

I never have quite enough time to spend with girlfriends, and so often I feel pretty darn disconnected and craving "girl time." So, tonight, I went to the first meeting (translation: dinner with plenty of wine) of a book club a friend of mine just started--and it was awesome. Nothing in particular stood out, I just found that after a long, challenging day, being around a bunch of smart, fun women that I didn't know, but will get to in the coming months, was really fun. I guess this is guys version of watching a football game and drinking beer together. Granted, I like to do that, too, but you get where I was going...

What it also made me realize is how well-read I am not! I read whenever I can, but quite honestly, I'm much more likely to have read Curious George Rides a Bike or People magazine (my bible) than anything these days. I have about 10 books that I'm partway through because a)I regularly fall asleep about a dozen pages in and end up rereading the same page until the book drops out of my hands and onto the floor, b) I get so excited that I start reading a bunch at the same time but peter out a few chapters into each, or c) I feel the need to do something meaningful and substantive, so I start on some massive book but peter out about a few chapters in. (Wait, am I seeing a theme here?? ;)

But tonight, I decided that I'm going to commit! I'm reading a full book in the next 6 weeks and it's going to have more than just one sentence in 24-point type on each page. This good kind of peer pressure is just what I need to motivate me to stick with it, too--I can't wait to see these cool chicks again!

I do wish grown-up books had more pictures, though...

4 comments:

Becky said...

I have loved reading each of your posts because I totally relate! Good luck on your book journey and let me know how you manage to stay awake long enough to read it.

Robin said...

You're hilarious. I so enjoy reading your posts, and you know I can relate. Loved the voting day post! Too funny. You are brave taking the boys with you, especially knowing ahead of time you'd have to wait in line a while. I can just hear them firing question after question and hear their silly comments. How boring life would be without our precious little never-ending sources of entertainment?

Robin said...

P.S. I'm so tired of Curious George.

Melissa F. said...

Thanks, ladies...just wait until tonight's post! You'd think I learn what NOT to do. I have to read this first book to prove I can actually read a full "adult" book!