Monday, November 17, 2008

My hair is now kleenex

Just when you think you've heard your kids say "the darndest thing" they top it. Yesterday, it was Rhys telling us in the car that "Normally (yes, he really did say 'normally'), he would call Santa 'Santa' and Rudolph 'Rudolph'," but not this year. This year it appears my child is in tight with the Big S and Big R, so he'll be calling them "Santy" and "Rudy." So hilarious...

Then, tonight, just as we'd finally gotten the boys into their beds and all was decently quiet on the Flynn front--with the exception of whining dogs whose voice boxes must be removed!!--and I lay in bed with Rhys, he manages to top Santy and Rudy. As I'm cuddling with him and he's smoothing my hair with his hand (I was having a lovely mommy moment), he proceeds to take a piece of my hair and wipe his nose with it. Yes, wipe his nose with it. And as I'm laying there staring at him a bit stunned, he looks at me and says: "Mommy, I just used your hair as kleenex!!" and breaks into tons of shrill laughter. So much for the mommy moment! But waddya going to do in that situation except laugh? You can't help but laugh... (and get him a REAL kleenex)

I walk across the hall to Cole's room--they've been in separate rooms since about 1, because, go figure, they talk so much!--and sit on his bed to read him a few pages of "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?" He's always an intent listener, yet when I get to the page saying what the lion hears, he decides it's much funnier to lick straight across my face like an animal than hear me finish. Again, I'm a little taken aback, but break into laughter... It appears my cuddling and reading skills bring out the best in my kids!

So, I've decided that I may just use this same skill set at work...the next time someone bores me with their talking/reading, I'm going to either wipe my nose with their shirt or lick their face. Hey, it definitely gets the person's attention and is well worth the laugh, right?

Ok, back to reality.

3 comments:

markflynnchas said...

I taught them that lick your face thing... I think the kleenex thing is your fault.

Unknown said...

LOVE the stories! It is so nice to hear other kids are doing these things too! My 2 year old always asks "who bought this"? Yesterday she pulled out a toy Santa brought last year and asked "who bought this"? To which I replied "Santa". She looked utterly surpried. Then her face turned to ponder (hand on hip and all). Then she looked at me and said "really" as if she KNEW he was a sham. It cracked me up!

Melissa F. said...

So glad, Brooke! I love the Santa story...they pick up on so much more than we ever think they will...