Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A shower...of cranberry juice?

If you're like me, you're always looking for ways to save time and cut corners. I never leave a room without grabbing a full trashcan or picking up a random sock or grabbing that nasty furball my ever-shedding dogs have left behind because it just means there's more for me to do later! I'm like a giant multi-tasking vacuum cleaner.

I've even noticed at times that my kids follow me around--right on my heels--as I go flying through the house collecting, cleaning and fixing because they know that they better keep moving when I'm getting things done. I know this because often times I'll turn and we'll smack right into each other, or because they'll get sick of my whirling around and hold onto the back of my shirt to slow me down. (It's the newest weightloss plan, don't you know? Dragging around an extra 30 pounds behind you? ;)

And yet every once in a while, I just hope to have a moment to myself, where I slow down and have a smidge of privacy--no emptying woodchips out of shoes, picking up old grapes from under couches, cleaning the stovetop for the 15th time after something s'more-like gooey glued itself to it...

So last weekend, after we went for a run in our now flat-tired jogging stroller (go figure, we push 60 pounds of hunkin' little men in it), we plopped the kids down in front of The Incredibles (also known as The Credibles--they're obviously very believable cartoon characters to my boys...) so Mark and I could jump into the shower for 5 minutes without total chaos ensuing.

We jump in together--again, to save time...who needs elbow room anyway while shaving, right?--and are standing there talking (trust me, nothing exciting going on, this was purely clean up and "catch up" time) as we shower. And for a moment, there's quiet.

Ahhh...

Until the shower curtain flies open and a sippy juice cup is flung into the middle of us--yes, MID-WATER STREAM--by our child with a loud demand/request: "The thing fell out of the sippy cup and now I can't drink my cranberry juice!! Will you fix it?!!"

So there we are, commando, suds and all, water pouring down and Cole completely unaffected by his surroundings and totally fixated on the need for an emergency sippy-ectomy. A non-parent might freak, shriek at the kid and grab for the curtain. Not us parents, though...what do we do? We look at each other for a second, laugh, I fix the sippy, Mark keeps showering (to save time, of course), Cole saunters away back to his Credibles, and I non-chalantly slide the curtain back.

Granted, we had a good laugh after we realized what had just happened, but hey, it got us 5 extra minutes of "peace," right?

3 comments:

Bren and Eric said...

The visual that comes with this is priceless and unavoidable!
I lately think in terms of "well, at least", so in your case, at least it wasn't cranberry juice on your outfit as you were headed to work! LOL.

Keela said...

All of these "events" are going to make one really great memoir or sitcom one day. I'm so glad you started blogging!

Melissa F. said...

I think my life IS a sitcom some days!! And good call, Bren, cranberry juice on my outfit might have just sent me over the edge... ;)