Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ninja and a...????

Nearly every child I run into at the boys' school or a friend's house says something along the lines of: "Guess what I'm going to be for Halloweeeeeennnnn????!!" And of course all adults play along because it's fun to see how excited the kids get.

My friend's daughter is going to be a tiger--because they say "RARRRRR" she told me. My other friend's son is going as "Handy Manny"...because he's, uh, handy, I guess? Or a cool Spanish guy? ;) Regardless, it's a riot to hear all of the stories right now.

And, in turn, kids and adults ask me what Rhys and Cole are going to be. This is where it gets fun.

My sweet, but full-of-energy Cole, shouts at every chance that he's going to be a NIN-JJAA! "Hiy-ya!" He originally was going to be a tiger, but a man can change his mind, you know.

Then there's Rhysie, my shyer, more artistic son, who in a quiet voice tells everyone he can that he is going to be a.....PRINCESS. And no, I'm not joking. Why? "Because they are so bee-u-ti-ful, mommy." This is the kid who is glued to Star Wars, but is wearing a bow in his hair as he watches. His favorite colors are pink and purple--in that order--but his favorite clothes are sports warm-ups.

So, there you have it, the quandry: do we make a big deal of it or just let him be happy as a pretty princess among a sea of ninjas, Diegos and otherwise "RARRRing" boy-like creatures?

Oh, what the heck, he's only 4, right? He's going to be a princess, dammit. Bring on the wand, the tiara, the earrings...thespian life, here we come.

Thankfully, I've got a great hubby who's cool (pretty much) with it. But man, you should see some of the funny reactions I get when I tell folks the costume of choice.

Most know my stories about Rhys, but I think they can't help but put themselves in my/our shoes and think what they'd do...and it's tough! Everything about our society says boys = manly and blue and girls = pretty and pink, so what do you do when you have a son who would much rather carry around a pink, Barbie fishing rod and a box of "treasures," including various barrettes borrowed from girls at school, ponytail holders, "gemstones," and My Little Ponies?

You crack the heck up, that's what you do! I laugh--not sure what else to do--and have to celebrate his adorable, cute self, because he just likes what he does. I have to admit, though, it does make me laugh to see all of the boys playing on the soccer field and there is Rhys, sitting on the lap of the coach's wife instead of playing.

What's a mom to do eh, but do his hair--he's got to look fab!
;)

6 comments:

The Pickett Family said...

TOO funny! I think your reaction (or non-reaction, that is) is perfect. Knowing that at the end of the day, his parents love him and support him--he'll be a happy boy/man.

But I CANNOT wait to see pics!! :)

Bren and Eric said...

First of all, Rhys is the luckiest kid ever to have two parents who let him just be. It may be a predictor of things to come (and if so, who cares) but it may just be his twin response to being his own individual. Either way, you handle it perfectly and I'm so proud of your seeing the humor and rolling with it! Before Stella came along, and due to my own sensibilities, I did her room in orange, green and brown, bought her jeans and brown tops with nary a hint of pink anywhere except in boxes of stuff given to her that I just couldn't stand to look at. And then Stella came into our world, the prissiest, most PINK girl I've ever known. Pink with attitude, and maybe no lace and frills (thank goodness) but still, not what I had expected. Last month I bought some pale pink paint to cover the orange wall, bought her a little pink "track suit" and even bought myself a pink shirt because it's not so bad after all.
We never get the kids we think we're going to get, we get the ones we're supposed to have, and thank God for that!

(Those pics better be posted by midnight on Oct 31st!)

Cari said...

I loved this post. I'm so glad Rhys and Cole have parents who validate their own individual beings. All kids should be so lucky. You two are great parents! We miss you. Wish we could go trick-or-treating together!

Melissa F. said...

How sweet are you all??! I'm certain you'd all do the same thing in the same situation... it's pretty funny and cute, really. I can't wait to see the outfit he ultimately comes up with either!! Hugs, ladies!

Chuck Morris said...

My Mom read something when I was pregnant with the first that talked about the color choices of parents at the turn of the 20th century...girls wore blue and boys wore pink. The reason? Pink was a harder color to "pull off" and you had to be "a man" to do so. It's all in the perspective. I say water that bloom with love and support and he will become a self-assured young man. You will also have some good photos to blackmail him with when he brings home a date.

Robin said...

Ashleigh would like to know if Rhys needs to borrow any of her Princess bling, because lord knows, she has anything and everything you can imagine! That is soooo great. I totally love it! Wish we were there and could go trick or treating together. Ashleigh & Rhys could be Cole & Ethan's dates! Can't wait to see the pix!