Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I should be in the circus

This week may go down as the ultimate in juggling acts. The question is: can I make it through without dropping a ball (and hence have all of the rest come crashing down on me) and not looking like the ultimate clown? It's going to be a crapshoot, I can tell you that right now. Today was a test--only a test...and I nearly failed when one son lost his watch in the grocery cart at the store...and then I broke a heel (one of my favorite pairs, too!)...after a very long day of nuttiness at work, a wedding shower, etc. But I recovered!...whew.

I sometimes wonder what people do when they don't have kids, dogs, crazy jobs and some semblance of a social life (i.e. seeing your friends and family at least once a month so they remember who you are). What do they DO with all of that time?

The answer: fill it. They always say busy people get more done. Well, I think the opposite is true, too...when you don't have a lot to do, you can stretch even the smallest of tasks into weeks. (I've done it in a "past" life, so I can be catty here.) Someone I know, and who shall remain nameless (bless her heart), is a wonderful individual, but is a perfect example of this. Let me compare lives for you...

My life: Get up before the alarm b/c brain is already thinking about what I didn't do the day before and what I need to do today. Yell at dogs for barking and potentially waking up kids. Get dressed (everything but pants--they're in a sleeping kid's room) and run around the house pantsless prepping to get the kids fed, dressed and to school. Pray kids get up in time to make it all work. Pretend that I'm not crazed when they wake up so they don't feel stressed. Encourage them to eat...quicker...and to put their clothes on (..."and no, you can't wear the T-Rex "burp" shirt to school"). Get kids to school, give lots of kisses and look calm. Book it to the car and get to work 10 minutes before most and do a few "Oms" to start the day chilled. Go to meetings--LOTS of meetings. Answer calls, emails, put out fires, stuff food in face when I have time... you get the picture. Oh, and smile along the way!

Her life: Get up halfway through what is now a daylong Today Show. Eat some toast and drink coffee. Decide when to do laundry that week. Take a quick cat nap. Run some errands. Watch Oprah. Get on email. Eat. Repeat.

Ok, yes, I'm jealous in many respects, and I'd probably lose my mind if I didn't have the crazy life I do, but it still makes me nuts. Especially when I hear: "I'm going to have to check my schedule--not sure I can pull that off today!" My internal interpretation: "Are you frickin' kidding me? Do you even know what kind of circus act I take on every day and you can't pull that off?? Puhleezeee...that's child's play."

I keep hearing that Dana Carvey stand-up bit in my head where he talks about all of his younger, unmarried friends whom he calls at noon to see what they're up to, and he gets the (insert Valley voice here) "I just got uhhpppp...I can't do anything until I get a Frappachiinoooo!"

Oh wow, I think I'm getting old...I'm starting to sound like one of those people who yell "Slow Down!" at people who drive too quickly down their street. Regardless, the key to juggling is to never stop moving, right? That's my goal for this week...put on that clown suit and just keep juggling, just keep juggling!

No comments: