Sunday, May 17, 2009

5 days and counting...

I love vacation. I'm not sure, though, if I like the actual vacation or the anticipation more.

Turns out my kids are the same way. I came home the other day and they were mid-packing their backpacks (this was 3 weeks ago) with everything one would need for a vacation--Matchbox cars, a pink My Little Pony (every boy's favorite toy, right?), coloring books, a random Tinker Toy or two, a clump of stickers and capes from their superhero PJs (they wouldn't exactly be "super" if they forgot their capes on vacation, would they). It cracked me up, but I completely understood the desire to just GO!

We leave this Friday for our annual St. Simons Island vacay and while I know I need to be focused on this week's worth of work and millions of other tasks, I'm like a little kid inside screaming "ARE WE THERE YET???" and waiting to play the license plate game.

This is probably because I know that for 7 days straight, I get to lay on the porch of our cottage and pretend to read my books while I actually just read the same 3 pages over and over and sleep in the warmth of outside. I get to eat junk and sit on my bum. I get to go to the beach every day without any time limits or "gotta get home to go grocery shopping" tasks on my mind.

And my hair will get frizzy from the humidity...and I don't care. And I'll live in my bathing suit and crappy shorts...and I don't care. And I won't even take out my makeup, which means my Opie-like sun freckles will pop out everywhere...and I don't care...in fact, I like it.

And for those people who wonder if I can really "turn it off"...my comment: JUST WATCH ME. It's the one time of the year that I love shoving my Blackberry into a drawer and get ticked off if it rings. Don't people know I'm a sleepy slob of a human that doesn't want to be friendly or "on"?

It's great, too, because I know that I won't run into a soul that I know, so if I want to be grumpy and sloppy I can be! (FYI, all, if you by some odd chance happen to be in St. Simons next week and you see me, you may want to ignore me... ;)

Here's to vacation!!

3 comments:

Cari said...

That sounds AMAZING! We totally need to establish a tradition like that. Have FUN!

Melissa F. said...

Cari, you really should...it was something my family did when I was little and it was the best time of my life. My boys are already anticipating it--HP would LOVE it!
M

markflynnchas said...

This is one of my favorite posts. Very true to life. I hear you saying all of this.