Monday, January 26, 2009

Networking or Cereal Boxes?

I was on time--in fact, I was early this morning. Until I checked my voicemail. Turns out, today is the day we were supposed to take in empty cereal boxes for the kids' class because they were making a book using the box fronts, and my boys were the only ones without their boxes. Yep, there goes mommy/daddy of the year award yet again! Mark's message: "I told the boys that I'd call you and see about the cereal boxes...thought maybe you could bring some on your way to work."

Damn, in a split second, I'd gone from happy and early to crazed and late. Oh, well, my boys had to have their boxes--I couldn't have them think they were the only kids whose parents didn't care enough to send them in with their "homework" done!

So, here's where it gets funny, and where the mix between working professional and parent come together so nicely--you become an Action Jackson... I call Mark and we have a 2-second conversation about this oh-so-serious situation and immediately the two of us brainstorm about where to get the boxes..."we don't have any empties..." "I don't have time to go to the store...." Then, light bulb from Dad: "Just take the bags out of two boxes and bring 'em..." Problem solved.

So, rather than mosey my way to a networking coffee, I now bee-line it to the kids' school with an empty box of Cheerios and an empty box of some Date & Pecan cereal that makes us look like hippies. The best part? I run in the door to their classroom and they run to me with open arms--not for me, mind you--but for their cereal boxes. Their teachers crack up and have a moment... and I'm thrilled because I've now hopefully avoided one year of therapy for my kids when they get older and remember how their parents never remembered to bring the cereal boxes that meant so much to them, etc. etc. Woo-hoo! Big hugs and kisses and I run back out the door.

And for the next 6-8 quality minutes as I drive the speed of light to get to work, I had a good laugh thinking about how hilarious my life now is. And how I hope I have pants on and the same color shoes. And yet how I wouldn't have it any other way. What a day.

2 comments:

Bren and Eric said...

So you're now one of THOSE moms!

I was in the crafts section of Walmart late last year, looking for something fun to have the neighbor girls do during Christmas dinner, and there were three moms there, all freaked out, all upset that the color of felt listed on the school supplies sheet they were each holding was no longer in stock and I first thought to myself "wow, that seems like a very minor thing for such intensity and angst", and an instant later that thought evolved into "that is going to be me in a few years - I must stock up on felt squares NOW!!!!!". Your blog both amuses me and gives me anxiety for what's to come.

Melissa F. said...

Yes, I am. I admit it, but the difference is that I'll never be the crafty mom--THAT doesn't come to be naturally at all! No anxiety required, just laugh, my friend, it's so damn funny...