Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Will "peace and joy" please raise their hands??

We came back on Monday from a fantastic trip to visit some of our best friends and goddaughter in Kansas in a bit of a family-togetherness glow. You probably know what I'm talking about--the conversation on the way home that includes: "Our kids are so amazing," "Family time together is so terrific," "Who needs TV when you've got friends and family??" All of that great stuff. I found myself thinking about how work really gets in the way of life, how more time together would just be the best...etc.

And then it hit. Reality smacked me in the face. Yep, one morning later, while waking up with the lingering leftovers of our fantastic, relaxing Tday break, the day went from zero to 60 in about 2 minutes. Dogs barking, kids waking up needing a kleenex and "some orange medicine because their nose is stuffy," a sink full of dirty dishes...and the darn reality that none of my Christmas decorations were up yet! Where was my insta-mood changer when I needed it??

It may sound trivial, but I always put the decorations up the day after Thanksgiving. Why? Because the holidays are my absolute favorite time of the year. No day can go wrong if it starts with Andy Williams and ends with a dark house lit by Christmas lights. I want to soak in every moment. Especially this year, I want to watch as my little stinkers really get into the fun and true meaning of Christmas. (Translation: Spend an entire month watching Mark "teach" them about the special drink that Santa likes better than milk, but no one knows about except us--yes, Dr. Pepper is Santa's drink of choice. And his favorite food? Moon Pies, of course.)

So, there I was, longing for the holidays to have entered my home and nada--not a single thing to help me regain the peace and holiday "glee" that was our Tday break. Ugh. Fortunately, I can improvise, so the boys and I sang Christmas songs during breakfast--or, rather, we sang one verse of one song, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," because it's their favorite...and I could feel my mood lightening.

I smiled as Rhys and Cole sang the chorus over and over with their little dimples popping out at me..."You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not..." and then suddenly it must have hit them that they didn't know the word "pout"--in fact, they didn't buy that it was "pout" and decided it was worth fighting about. I made a pouty face to show them what it meant and Cole proceeded to tell me that no, it "WAS NOT POUT" and "THERE WAS NO WORD LIKE POUT."

Well, so much for peace, joy and holiday glee! I guess I had my moment. So, that's my goal for this holiday season: savor the moments. You definitely won't see me pouting...then again, the word doesn't exist, so how could you? ;)

No comments: